It would seem like somebody at the Comx knows that a lot of people are going to be standing for physical delivery in the very near future. That could be the Federal Reserve, that could be the US Treasury, that could be, you know, any major players, a combination of big big investors. But this doesn't happen for no reason. It's because somebody knows that a lot of physical gold is going to be demanded very, very soon. Good. Let's continue the chat with Alan Hibber joining us. precious metals
alternative money specialist at golds.com. Allan, it feels like the title and the website say it all. Yeah, thanks for having me. Oliver, we heard a bull case from Axel MK earlier. Uh, super bullish gold. Uh, one of the questions we were talking about is whether or not it's recession dependent. Uh, is gold doing so well here because people are worried about the economy or is it just doing well because they want to put something safe in their portfolio? Yeah, I think this move in gold is a long time coming. Uh, anyone
who's been watching the markets knows that gold has really been on a bull run for 10 years and we haven't really been discussing a recession for 10 years. What what's been happening is central banks have been net buyers of gold. So, that's sort of the tailwind that's moving the gold market up steadily over time. And the reason it's sort of becoming more explosive lately is a combination of a lot of things including the talk of a recession, possibly even a deliberately induced recession, which is
very interesting. Um, but also tariff talks, uh, inflation, geopolitical uncertainty, and of course all these tariffs are basically um, sort of like an economic war, a trade war basically instead of a hot war. So we have a lot of things. It's like the perfect storm right now. Everything's good for gold. Okay, man. It's looking pretty good. Uh, can't argue with the chart. How about silver? Real close to one-year highs. Are we going to get the same? And what's your expectation if that breaks out?
Yeah, silver does tend to lag a little bit. And of course, it's down significantly off its all-time highs of roughly $50. Uh, still down about 33% there. So, we would need a 50% move in silver to catch up to its all-time highs. And I do think it's going to happen eventually. Uh probably pretty soon because once silver takes out $34, $35 an ounce, it's smooth sailing back up to 50 and then then it'll hit some resistance there. So I do think a move in silver is is happening pretty soon.
We're entering the fifth year of a structural deficit in silver. So demand for silver has exceeded supply. And if you know basic economics, anytime demand exceeds supply for a long period of time, that price has to come up to establish equilibrium. So, I do expect the price of silver to break out here very soon. Uh, you've got a chart showing uh gold stock piles. Uh, where is this coming from? And the word on the street, I guess, is that it's central bank buying. Is that the case? Yeah,
exactly. So, if you look at if you look at the stock piles in the ComX, we saw a massive increase lately, which parallels the massive increase that we had during the COVID crisis. Ordinarily, there's only about 10 million ounces of gold on the COMX, which isn't that much, but it's enough to handle all the physical settlement. So, during the CO era, it shot up to almost 40 million. It almost quadrupled in just a span of a few months, and that was crisis levels of activity. It has since come down because
of a lot of um physical taking from from investors and now it's going back up. So, it would seem like somebody at the COMX knows that a lot of people are going to be standing for physical delivery in the very near future. That could be the Federal Reserve, that could be the US Treasury, that could be, you know, any major players, a combination of big big investors. But this doesn't happen for no reason. It's because somebody knows that a lot of physical gold is going to be demanded very very
soon. So, it could be a number of things. All right. You think that's priced into this uh uh into the uh price right now uh for gold? Not yet, but it it factors into the price a little bit day by day, right? And that's why we're seeing it move up so much. And that's why we're going to continue to see it move up so much because not every investor is watching the markets every minute of every day. Some people don't find out about this for a month or a few months down the road. And that's when
people scramble to buy gold once they remember, oh yeah, it's limited in quantity, right? Sometimes it trades like there's no supply cap because there's no limit to how much paper gold you can create on these exchanges. And then once people realize that, oh yeah, it's actually limited and if I stand for physical delivery, I might not get it. That's when they scramble to uh to buy gold anyway they can. So, there's really going to be a shortage like that. You think there's a gold shortage right now?
Uh well, everybody knows that there's limited gold, right? Isn't that the whole point of it? Not like I wake up. I'm like, "Oh, I forgot there's limited gold, right? We always know that. That should always be priced in." But if there's like some kind of buying scenario where it's locked up somewhere, there's too much, you know, in Fort Knox or whatever. I don't know. Is that like what's happening? Well, it it's not clear exactly what's in Fort Knox or
not. We might get an audit and it could be the case that the rumors surrounding an audit are driving all kinds of investors to take physical. Who knows? That that's that's speculation, but yeah, it's got to be something. Yeah, it's got to be something. So, yeah, there's only so much gold out there. And when people remember that uh it's a scarce, precious resource, they they gobble it up for sure. Okay. Uh precious, I guess, in the eye of the beholder. Our gold bug from the top of
the show is not a Bitcoin guy, but I think I saw a book back there suggest maybe you are. Does all this apply to the coins, too? Well, I'm definitely a Bitcoiner. I believe that Bitcoin is digital gold, but only Bitcoin. Don't confuse Bitcoin with the rest of the crypto space. That's all just a new new iteration of fiat as far as I'm concerned. So, yeah, I'm a fan of Bitcoin, gold, and silver, and not much else. Hey, how come not the other coins if whenever Bitcoin goes up, they go up more? It's just like a higher
beta trade. If I like Bitcoin, why don't I go for I mean, look at Doge. Doge has been doing amazing over the last decade or that's like a literal joke. If you're a day trader, go for it. I've I've tried in all these other coins. You know, a few years ago, I've been in Bitcoin 10 years. I used to trade some of the altcoins and I lost my shirt in a lot of those. I lost 99.9% on a few different altcoins. I figured out that over the long term, Bitcoin is going to outperform all of them. It's something
special. It's it's digital gold. It's decentralized. All the other ones are centrally managed. They could do better just like companies could do better. Stocks could outperform gold, but there's a lot of risk associated with it. So, hang on. So, one one last point. We got to jump in a minute, but uh if it's the same, it's just a digital version. How come Bitcoin's down 30 grand from the highs in the period while gold's been going berserk to the upside? That looks like they're the exact
opposite then. Yeah, they don't move in tandem on a on any given day. A lot of people haven't figured out what Bitcoin is. A lot of people think that it's worthless. It's a bubble. it has no value whatsoever. Um, so it's and it's still a very young asset. So investors are definitely figuring it out and there's a whole lot of volatility and a lot of day traders love that volatility, but you don't get that in gold because gold is a mature asset. So everyone knows what gold is. It's just sometimes
they forget about it every now and then. And isn't the maturity of gold what makes it gold and different from Bitcoin? To your point, if you think Bitcoin's early life stage, but they're one and the same, but you see what gold gives its credit is its age and Bitcoin doesn't have that, that means they're not the same thing. It's definitely one component, but it's not the only component. So my bet on Bitcoin, for example, is that other people will start to figure out that
Bitcoin is harder money than gold. So it's harder to inflate the supply by 1%, let's say in the case of Bitcoin, than it is for gold. So my bet on Bitcoin is that people will eventually figure this out and I'm trying to frontr run that trade. Whereas for gold, I know people have figured it out. They've just overallocated to the stock market, let's say, and then they're going to rotate their capital back into gold when they get scared.
Post a Comment