Hi everyone. I've got my friend now, uh, Robert Helms on here. It's his second appearance on our channel. Robert, uh, heads up the Real Estate Guys, a podcast that he's been doing since the late 90s, I believe. Uh, and, uh, but Robert actually knows a lot about precious metals as well. So, it isn't just real estate. So, anyway, Robert, how are you doing? I'm good. How are you, Mike? Great to see you. I'm great. Now, uh, one of the things that people don't know about you is is you are almost like a
professional MC going around to different events all over the place and hosting them because of your uh, voice and because you think really quickly on your feet. Well, thank you for that. I hope that's true today. And uh, you know, it's interesting because people have uh, a thirst for knowledge, which is why I applaud all the work you have uh, done over the years. when I met you, you had a bright red hair and uh had this infectious attitude about the metals and I remember we had a great discussion at
the end of the day having trade booths next to each other and you said, "Guys, guys, you know, I I love gold and silver, but my long-term play is to be able to acquire it so I can buy real estate." And that started a really great uh set of thinking in my mind as well. And that turned me on uh to precious metals. And I think there's such a great part in your portfolio for the metals to play uh for a lot of reasons. And it's not that different from real estate in some ways because they're both hard
tangible assets, things you can touch, not things that are going to vapor away when some market maker decides to make a move. It's tangible. It's hard to steal real estate, right? It's possible, but it's hard. And it's really hard uh to have uh counterparty risk in gold. when I own this this piece of gold here, it's uh got no counterparty risk. Now, that doesn't mean it doesn't have risk. I could lose it somewhere in my studio or someone could break in and steal it from
me, but it doesn't have that counterparty risk, which we actually do have in real estate. So, I think any investor today needs to have their mind around all of the various asset classes. Yeah. So, uh, that, uh, place where we had booths next to each other, wasn't that during one of like the Los Angeles real estate ex the Learning Annex real estate expo? So, we are talking about 2006, I think. Yep. Way back. Yeah. And you interviewed me shortly thereafter on your channel. So, uh, that was actually
before my book came out, before I already had golds.com, but it was just before things really took off. So, yeah. Yeah. Uh those uh we are you know uh I just mentioned that uh uh before this uh started that uh I paid for my membership uh for collective inner circle which is a mastermind group that uh uh I joined that Robert is one of the founders of with a tube of gold eagles. It was a couple of memberships for me and some associates, but I actually there's some things that I've done in my
life where I've paid in gold and it seems to bring luck. So, well, that's a that's a really interesting angle, right? It's not just that gold is money, and in fact, it's arguably the only money, but the fact that you can preserve purchasing power, but when you use it, you know, I I don't travel most of the time with an ounce of gold, but I always have an ounce of silver in my pocket. Anytime you see me at a conference or convention, you can ask, "Hey, what are you carrying today?"
And I always have a silver coin of some kind with me because it's tangible. I put my hand in my pocket, I can feel it, and there is that energy. So, it doesn't surprise me at all that investments you make with real money bring you luck. You know, uh in the last uh video I just did with uh Alan Hibbert, uh we I mentioned that I used to carry an ounce of gold around with me in in my pocket all the time. And then uh I think it was back in 2009 uh I was appearing with Robert Kiyosaki in Indonesia and it rolled out of my
pocket in a cab, but the cab driver actually brought it back to the hotel and the concierge got it back to me. I I was without it for an entire day. Other people had it for an entire day and it just amazed me the uh honesty and you know trying to get that back to me. That was awesome because the cab driver, you know, I I didn't know who the cab driver was. I never would have been able to track it down. It was Yeah. So anyway, we're going on something called the uh the investor summit real estate cruise.
And there's going to be three other gold guys, Peter Schiff uh and uh Dana Samuelson and Brian London uh who produces the longestr running uh gold conference, the New Orleans Investment Conference uh and writes a gold newsletter. So three experts, but there's going to be some other people there. Uh, and people need to, you know, Robert used to teach me that if you take the five the four people you hang around most, you're this guy right in the middle, you know. Y and uh for many years actually uh you know, if you turn
it this way, I was this guy up here. I was the one making the most the most successful and so on. But you don't grow when you don't put yourself in with other people that push you a little bit more. people that might know have some ideas or uh you know set examples uh or give you information that uh you just don't have yourself. So uh tell us about you know you're you're actually the producer of the real the uh uh the investor summit real estate cruise, right? Yeah, this will be our 23rd year
and it was a crazy idea and it's a crazy amount of fun. We spend a couple of days in a hotel room and then jump on a beautiful luxury cruise ship for a week. And uh it's like summer camp for the affluent. It's the neatest thing. People come on, you know, you go to summer camp, you don't really know anybody. You're not sure you want to go and by the end of the week you have all your new best friends. It's like that. And this year we are so thrilled that you'll be joining us and that we'll have the
best gold panel ever. We always, even though the real real estate guys, right, we always have macroeconomics. George Gam will be there. Peter Schiff will be there. We're going to have uh discussions on oil and gas. We're going to have discussions on cryptocurrency. We're going to talk about gold and silver. And the panel is outstanding. Uh the bestselling author in the world on precious metals, that's you. Then Peter Schiff, who always has something to say about gold, right, repetitively. And
then our friend Dana Samson, who's a physical metals dealer, also a macroeconomics uh thinker. Uh Brian London, who you mentioned. But I'm also going to ask Brent Johnson to be on that panel because Brent knows a fair bit about the metals as well. And I think Robert Kiyosaki, not because he's an expert in gold, but because he'll be with us on the summit and he has a bunch of gold. So I think having the perspective from folks that have been stacking it away for a lot of years will
be awesome. Yes. And then there's going to be some other people there that I mean Kenny Mroy and Jason Hartman are one of the things, you know, my audience is very focused on on precious metals and so on, but there's going to come a day where you're going to want to rotate out. you know, you're protecting yourself and you're doing it at the right time where you're probably going to make huge gains against other asset classes. But to maintain uh the true wealth, you don't
want if gold does not become uh our global currency again, uh then it's going to peak and then go back down just like it did back in 1980. And so you want to rotate out of some of your gold at least into things like real estate and businesses and high dividend yield stocks. Well, and there's a lot of reasons for that, right? We all love gold. If you're a gold bug, I hear you. The thing is, gold doesn't provide any cash flow. Gold doesn't have any special tax incentives for the most part, unless
you're in the mining business, and even then, right, there's a tough business to be in. And gold is a way to preserve your wealth and ensure. So, I think everyone needs it in their portfolio. I am probably irresponsibly heavy into the metals and I'm sure if you're watching Mike, you are too. I'm also irresponsibly heavy into real estate because real estate can provide cash flow, appreciation, tax benefits, and the fact that I can do something to the property to improve its value. No matter
how much I do or say to this ounce of gold, unless I'm a craftsman and can make it into a beautiful piece of jewelry and get a premium, it's worth whatever spot is today in terms of that currency. But yeah, with real estate, I can do a ton of stuff with it. And it's the same thing with businesses. There's a great opportunity today to start and incubate businesses, to buy existing businesses, to take multiple businesses and merge. I was just on a on a a show with a guy who is doing that very thing.
He's owned a automotive repair business for 35 years. Today they own a halfozen automotive repair businesses and they have the synergy of using the systems and the techniques and even some of the equipment in a way that makes each of these what were once independent businesses flourish together. So, it's exciting. You know, gold, as much as I love it, ain't too exciting. It's pretty. you know, if you collect, you know, unique gold, the whole numismatic thing, okay? Uh but real estate, boy,
there's just so many ways to make money. So, our investor summit is really designed to look at all of it from a portfolio side. They're going to be guys there that have stocks and bonds. Peter uh Peter Schiff obviously one of them. Uh Brent is a money manager for uber wealthy guys. And uh he he comes just cuz he loves hanging out with people that are interested. Uh and it's going to be it's going to be something. But of course, as the real estate guys, we've got Kenny Mroy there, probably one of
the best real estate guys in the world. Uh, you mentioned Jason Hartman, awesome guy when it comes to single family and understanding the markets and even short-term rentals. And then my friend Keith Weinhold is coming all the way from Alaska. Keith hosts a a great podcast and has been a real estate investor for many years. And the cool part isn't just that we have all these amazing speakers, right? People say all the time, well, you know, I can watch Robert Kiyosaki's podcast. I can watch
Mike Maloney's podcast. What you can't do is get in a conversation with both of them together around the bar. That's where the magic happens at our investor summit. Yeah. At the investor summit, uh, anybody that comes that mentions my name when they're signing up, they get they can uh have dinner with me. Uh, there will be how many nights? Yeah. So, we're there for seven nights on the ship and Mike has graciously said, "Hey, anyone that uh signs up and mentions my name and there's a place where under the
who referred you, you write Mike Maloney. We'll seat you at dinner with Mike one of the nights who you can pick his brain." Mike and I were talking about, well, maybe maybe folks that come, you know, from you, Mike, they ought to get two nights with you. And then Mike said, "Well, but they want to spend time with all these other great people, too." So, it's it's an extraordinary uh event. You can get the details at investorsummitc.com. Uh but the the other thing about it is
you know a lot of conferences I go to conferences you go to conferences you started a whole trade show. I mean you know this business what happens is you have to submit your talk and sometimes your slides weeks even months in advance. Well we don't do that on the summit. I just bring really smart people and I know they're going to have something relevant to talk about. So I'm not asking for the title of your talk. I'm not asking for you to send me your slides early like whatever is on your
mind and in the ether because let's face it this world is changing like never before the speed of change and the craziness how do you figure it all out you know for instance if we said we're going to do a whole panel on how disruptive the tariffs are going to be and that's obviously been true by the time the summit is here June 20th that might all be behind us so we don't tell you in advance what we're going to talk about we just let super smart people talk about stuff that matters. Yeah. You
know, you said uh gold is sort of boring and it is, but it's also easy. It is so easy to buy and to sell and to store. Uh it's it's just a one of it. You know, if you've got a brokerage platform, you're always getting all these statements. You're getting basically financial junk mail, right? you got to keep some of it uh for tax purposes, but uh you get bogged down in all of this stuff. Uh real estate is wonderful, but it is not highly liquid. Uh well, not only is it not liquid, it takes a lot of money. If
I want to buy even a decent, you know, little rental house, it's going to be $200,000. Well, that's a lot of currency. But I can get into gold for a fraction of that. And the way I think about gold is every ounce of gold I have ever bought, on the day I bought it, I preserved the purchasing value of my currency on that day. So I think the first ounce of gold I didn't start early enough. My first ounce of gold I probably paid around $800 for. But today that ounce of gold is worth, pick a number, $3,3300
wherever we are. But those dollars, if I had kept those $800, they'd be worth a lot less today. But because I put them into gold, they have the same purchasing power pretty much as they did back then. So when I buy an ounce of gold, it's a gift I give to myself in the future. I don't like ever to have to sell my metals, but if I have to, there's nothing more liquid, right? I can walk into there's a half a dozen places within five miles of my house where I could take an ounce of gold or a monster
box of silver and have fiat currency uh within a few minutes. So, I'd rather have the money, but if I needed the currency, I could get it. Interesting that you've uh defi, you know, you're you're using the terms money and currency in my opinion properly. Well, I had to make sure before I got on with Mike Bologna, right? They're different things. Currency in our lives. There's no doubt we need currency in our lives, but every single day, every dollar that's in my wallet becomes less and less and less
valuable. It can purchase less, right? And that's not true for the metals. It's hard to transact with the metals, although you've already given one example, and I have a few as well. We've had people pay for the investor summit with gold, silver, and cryptocurrency over the years. Now, most people that say they take cryptocurrency, oh yeah, we take cryptocurrency. They don't really. They use Bitay or one of those applications to take it in and instantly convert it to fiat currency. We actually
take it and hold it, right? Then not everybody thinks that way. But if you have to think about your investment philosophy, you want to get in touch with this stuff. What is the difference between currency and money? What is the difference between an appreciating asset and a depreciating liability? A lot of the things people invest in are going down in value and are becoming less beneficial, but they think they've invested. My brother-in-law said, "Yeah, you know, I've been investing around the
house lately. I've invested in a 60-inch TV." Like, I don't think that counts as an investment. No, it doesn't. Uh, you're the MC for Rebel Capitalist as well, right? Yeah. So, Rebel Capitalist is awesome. That's our friend George Gammon's annual event happening in Orlando, Florida. It's the 23rd to 25th of uh March, rebel capitalistlive.com. And uh this will be my third year pulling off MC duties for George. You know, George said, "Hey, after he came to our investor summit, he's like,
"Would you ever consider like being the MC at my event because I I have so much else on my mind. It's just I I can do it, but you know what George does is he knows all the speakers well. Um, but I'm happy to take that off of his shoulders and it also lets me be backstage with all the speakers and uh love that he brings a great great group of folks to come share uh just some of the smartest people you'll you'll meet and it's all heady macroeconomic stuff. Uh so be prepared to drink from a fire hose. But
uh yeah, that's a that's a super good event. Never I never miss uh Rebel Capitalist Live. Anybody after they leave that event though has a much greater understanding of the economy and you know my audience they uh are sort of hungry for this understanding of the economy but you're not you know if you attend this you're going to get it from uh several different experts and angles and so it's it's more than uh what I alone can give you but you know there's uh cocktail parties there's uh times
when uh you'll be able to come up and speak with me if you want. So consider Rebel Rebel Capitalist Live in Orlando, Florida. What were the dates again? So it's May 23rd, 24th, and 25th. Friday night's the cocktail party. Be at that because all the speakers are there. And then all day Saturday, all day Sunday. We'll wrap up about 5:00 on Sunday. It's going to be uh it's going to be a ton of fun. And your brain will hurt afterwards. But you'll also meet some really really great people. I mean,
think about the kind of folks that want to fly to Orlando and get in a hotel room for three days talking macroeconomics. Those are people you want to know. Yep. I want to wrap this up and I want to thank you so much for uh doing this. This is great, Robert. Thanks a lot. Hey, thank you, Mike. Always good to see you, my friend. What What's your website? How do people get in touch with you? You can hear our radio show at all your favorite podcast outlets. We're the Real Estate Guys. Go to real estategu.com.
If you click on the but button that says summit, that'll tell you about the investors summit or just go to investorsummitc.com. Thanks Robert. We'll see you next time. Thanks man.
Post a Comment